Hello, I’m Jen. I’m a creative journaling teacher, life coach and writer in New Zealand.
I help creative, sensitive women to connect with their soul, find their courage and live their purpose, through the tools of creative journaling and life coaching.
I love dark chocolate, second-hand bookstores, afternoon naps, travel-themed stationery, singing, and all things colourful.
I’m highly sensitive, introverted and adore creative journaling – probably too much.
I collect crystals and feathers, own more books than I can possibly read, and dream of one day writing novels and teaching creative workshops while travelling the world.
My fiancé and I live in a tiny house on a hillside in Auckland, New Zealand, with our pup and baby boy.
Welcome to my little corner of the internet.
I spent many years mired in depression, self-doubt and fear. I’m the girl who never felt like enough – not pretty enough, not smart enough, not experienced enough – and at the same time, felt like too much – too sensitive, too fat, too uncertain, too weird.
I spent years denying my dreams, hiding myself and ignoring the inner knowing that told me I was meant for more. I let fear tell me that my story didn’t matter, that I couldn’t make a difference and that I should just be happy with what I had.
I became a high school teacher in my early twenties and while I felt as though I was contributing to the world in some way, I still felt a deep longing for something more. Studying life coaching and psychology helped me step closer to my purpose, but something was still missing.
I’ve been keeping a written journal steadily since I was about ten, but it wasn’t until my late twenties that I committed to a powerful daily creative practice. What happened to me was amazing: my creativity blossomed, my self-love deepened and my fears were quietened as my courage and faith spoke louder than ever before.
Through cultivating a regular written and visual journaling practice, I have connected with my own wisdom and come to know and love who I am at my core.
And you know what I realised? My story does matter. And so does yours.
My goal in my work is to show up as honestly, authentically and truthfully as I can. I don’t want to hide behind fancy web design, carefully crafted sales pages and a curated online image. I want to share my life in all its rawness and truth, so that I can encourage other women to do the same.
I believe the best way to help women remember the great power and courage they hold within themselves is to step into my own power, recognise my own enoughness, live my purpose boldly, and be an example for others.
I combine my training in life coaching and positive psychology, my years of experience as a teacher, and my personal experience with life-changing creative practice to offer powerful online classes and one-on-one coaching that help women to connect with their soul, find their courage and live a life of purpose.
Some things about me:
- I’m an introvert, highly sensitive person, an INFJ and renaissance soul/scanner
- I’m a new mama to a baby boy born in December 2016
- I live in a tiny house with my partner, pup and bubba – you can see our building progress here
- I love dogs and have my own wee pup called Duncan
- Travel is one of my greatest obsessions – I’ve been to a few amazing places and have a huge travel bucket list to tick off!
- I am a recovering dieter and learning to become an intuitive eater
- Being in nature is when I feel most connected to the divine, and am reminded of the true magic of the universe
Qualifications and experience
The official stuff:
- Diploma of Life Coaching from Hart Life Coaching
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology (Health Sciences) from Auckland University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma of Secondary Teaching from Auckland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Arts (English, media and art history) from The University of Auckland
The other stuff:
I’ve developed a journaling practice that has changed my whole life, simply because I started listening to my higher, wiser self and deepened my ability to hear my intuition. I’ve used my journal to really get to know who I am – how I think, what matters to me, what I’m capable of – and from this I’ve created a life that is deeply fulfilling. Some of the things I’ve created for myself include, in no particular order:
- Downsizing dramatically – selling many of my possessions to focus on what really makes me happy
- Designing and building a tiny house (yes, with my own two hands – and those of my fiancé)
- Buying our own piece of property despite record high prices in Auckland and having no deposit
- Overcoming depression, perfectionism, fear, procrastination…. and many other things that weren’t bringing me any joy
- Building an online business
- Leaving a job for which I am not well-suited and that doesn’t fulfill me
- Getting engaged
- Discovering my purpose and having the courage to act on it
- Helping others to find creative fulfillment and deepen their connection with themselves
I don’t say these things to be braggy – but to show you that you can create the kind of life you want to live when you allow yourself to be guided by your inner wisdom, courage and self-belief.
Creative life coaching and journaling is the best way that I have found to combine my love of creativity and my love of personal growth. By coaching and teaching creative journaling to others, I have found the ultimate way to combine my skills and passions and help women all around the world.