Writing is hard work. It might seem easy: a few words on a page, pen to paper or fingers on keyboard. But while the tools are simple enough, getting them to do what you want is not always straightforward.
I write every day. I read every day. I am learning so much about writing and what it means to be creative, to write – especially as a mother. As I break through writing blocks and learn new ways to let my authentic self speak on the page, I want to share that with you and encourage you to do the same.
Writing might seem like a very solitary activity, but in the reading I’m doing, the idea of sharing and being part of a larger writing community keeps coming up. And since I don’t really have much of a local writer’s community, I thought I’d create my own, online.
Thus, the No-Pressure Writing Group was born. I named it as such because it’s simple, fun and not overwhelming. You don’t have to be a ‘proper writer’ to join. Maybe you’ve dabbled with writing, maybe you try to write often, or maybe you’ve only just thought about it. All are welcome.
We look at simple writing ideas, complete writing exercises, and, if we want to, share some of our writing in a safe environment (feedback will only be provided if you ask for it). This way you can be part of a writing community, be accountable for developing your writing, be seen as a writer, and feel less alone on your writing journey.
Here is a brief overview of how the group works:
- Each Wednesday I share some sort of lesson, topic or insight – it is very much bite-sized, a few paragraphs outlining an idea that will help us as we write. Something you can digest in 20 minutes or less, and then explore on your own (if you like).
- Writing prompts/topics to help you write. You get a list of daily topics for the week ahead, plus one deeper writing prompt tied to the weekly topic/lesson.
- Our main tool is the daily timed writing practice – whether it’s 3 minutes or 30 minutes, whatever you can manage. And some days you won’t get to it at all, and that’s ok too. But we set this as our main tool to practice our writing, express our voice and explore our ideas.
- Suggested/further reading on topics – if you’re interested.
- Monthly sharing of any piece of writing you want to share (or not – sharing is not required). Sharing will be under one of two conditions: 1) sharing just for the sake of being seen, of showing up but no feedback required, or 2) sharing and asking for feedback following some guidelines. The sharer decides what kind of sharing it is – so you can share if you want, without worrying about what others might say.
This writing group is hosted on my Patreon community – if you’re not a patron, you can become one and join the writing group for only $5 a month. Think of this as a small contribution towards my time in finding interesting writing topics, writing prompts and other inspiring material.
I hope you’ll come join us!